Lisa Kearney, M.S. CCC-SLP
Speech Language Pathologist
My first goal is to establish a good rapport with the child and their parents, as our communication is just as important as the child’s. I like to work with the child’s interests in mind to make therapy a fun activity so that they can look forward to every session. My style of interacting with my clients involves using high-interest materials, not just exclusively sitting at a desk. I use a multi-sensory model (visual, verbal, tactile) to create different ways to achieve the child’s goals.
I am a retired Speech-Language Pathologist who has worked with 3-14-year-olds in school settings for 34 years, the last 32 years at Palatine SD# 15. But I am not ready to leave the profession I love. I want to continue to help children communicate effectively with their parents and peers. I get the greatest joy when I hear a child finally get the sound(s) they have been working on or when a child can express themselves using more words in a sentence or when they can respond to questions, whether it is following a story or in a conversation.
I believe parents play a vital role in helping their children acquire the skills they need to be effective communicators. I will listen to their concerns and help plan attainable goals for their child. I also like to give additional activities for parents to work on at home with their children.
Areas of Specialty
- Articulation / Phonology
- Receptive and Expressive Language
Credentials and Certifications
- 1985 Bachelor’s Degree in Speech-Language Pathology (Illinois State University)
- 1988 Master of Science Degree in Speech-Language Pathology (Illinois State University)
- 2000 Certificate of Advance Study in Early Childhood Education ( National-Louis University)
- Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech Language Pathology (ASHA 1990)
- National Board Certified Teacher (10+ years)
- Current Illinois License to Practice Speech-Language Pathology (IDFPR)
- Current Professional Educator License in Speech-Language Pathology Endorsed (ISBE)
Extra Awesome Stuff
- In Fall of 2017 I won the “Award of Excellence” for THOSE WHO EXCEL (Professionals who have made outstanding contributions to Education in Illinois).
- Worked Summer School as a Speech-Language Pathologist for 12 years.
- Created Summer Speech and Language Calendars for the whole District for many years