Kelly Marie Christiansen, OTR/L
Development and Occupational Therapy Department Lead, Occupational Therapist
Kelly Marie Christiansen graduated summa cum laude from Saginaw Valley State University in Michigan. Her career demonstrates diversity working with families and children; in the school setting, outpatient setting, Autism diagnostic team, hippotherapy setting, and AAC evaluation team.
Kelly Marie specializes in assisting families and children that are non-verbal, families that utilize augmentative alternative communication devices, children with Autism, pre-job skill training, and children with complex physical motor difficulties.
Within Kelly Marie’s practice, you will see her engaging families, siblings, schools, and other providers/caregivers directly into therapy. Kelly Marie believes the more members of a child’s world that are on the same page, the more that the child will flourish.
Kelly Marie sought new education in 2018 to meet the needs of families in the community for sexual development and puberty with children with special needs. She has helped families with compassion in an area that requires additional training for support.
- Bachelors Occupational Therapy (Saginaw Valley State University, MI) Summa cum laude
- Therapeutic Listening (Vital Links)
- Extensive study on sensory integration theory, self-regulation strategies, and sensory diet development
- Autism Diagnostic team for Little Friends (Naperville, IL )
- Trained in handwriting (Handwriting Without Tears program)
- Trained in handwriting assessment (Print Tool)
- Co-author of “Dynamic treatments for the Hippotherapy Client”
- Completed LAMP (language Acquisition Motor Planning) training for AAC.
- Previous Adjunct Staff at Northern Illinois University for introduction to rehabilitation courses.
- Trained in treatment principles and equine skills of American Hippotherapy Association, Level I.
Speaking Engagements focused on:
- Using Augmentative Assistive Technology in daily life
- Assessment for the use of AAC
Additional training completion in the following areas:
- Treatment and Behavioral strategies for children on the Autism Spectrum
- AAC strategies to support language and communication for children with ASD
- Sexual development for children and teens with special needs
- Pre-job skill training and readiness