Kierstin M. Barth, M.A., CCC-SLP/lSpeech Language Pathologist
My therapy philosophy is centered on building a foundation of mutual trust and respect between clinician and client, as this is the most important initial building block in the therapeutic relationship! I want my clients and families to feel comfortable, understood and respected by me. I want the children I work with to feel safe and trust me enough to step a little out of their comfort zones in order to learn new skills, meet their goals, and blossom in their self-confidence! I believe that families are integral team members because they know their children best! I aim to teach my families/caregivers effective, research-based strategies that they can then use at home to carry over skills practiced in speech and language sessions.
Neurodiversity affirming therapy is at the heart of my work and passion as a Speech Language Pathologist, and I adore sharing and igniting that passion in others! I LOVE striving to meet each of my clients exactly where they are at and focusing on functional, child centered treatment that is encouraging and inclusive of minds and learning styles of all kinds! Additionally, I am very passionate about advocating for culturally and linguistically diverse clients as I myself am bilingual. I enjoy sharing my knowledge to inspire families so that they feel confident to speak their native languages to their children. Bilingualism absolutely does NOT cause language delays and should be celebrated!
Parent Role in Therapy: I enjoy building a partnership with parents. I like getting to know the goals of my clients and their families and helping families to create opportunities for practice in their own every day routines in naturalistic, fun ways.
Areas of Specialty
- Early Childhood Speech, Language, and Fluency Disorders
- Gestalt Language Processing/Echolalia
- Autism, Neurodiversity Affirming Therapy
- Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC)
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) Treatment and Evaluation
- Bachelor of Science in Communication Disorders (Northern Illinois University 2016)
- Master of Arts in Speech Language Pathology (Northern Illinois University 2020)
- Certificate of Clinical Competence from the American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA CCC)
- Illinois Licensure to Practice Speech Language Pathology (IDFPR)
- Professional Educator Licensure in Speech Language Pathology
- Registered Clinician through Meaningful Speech – Natural Language Acquisition Certification
- Zones of Regulation Trained
- Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professional (QIDP)
Extra Awesome Stuff:
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) SLP lead on preschool play based multidisciplinary assessment team
- Led preschool staff in service training on gestalt language processing and natural language acquisition
- Co-established first gender affirming voice modification therapy services alongside clinical supervisor at NIU for clients seeking vocal gender congruency