Adam Nikkel, MOTR/LOccupational Therapist
My passion is to help kiddos become as independent as possible. Regulation and Engagement above all else. If a kiddo is not regulated, learning is not going to take place. Once regulated and engaged, my goal is to have each and every kiddo be as independent as possible.Independence benefits the kids and the families.
Adam Nikkel received his Masters degree in Occupational Therapy from Midwestern University in Downers Grove, IL in 2012. Adam’s career specializes in working with children with behavior problems, mental health concerns, as well as sensory processing, regulatory disorders, and attention concerns. He has worked in a variety of settings including; inpatient adult rehabilitation, pediatric outpatient setting, as well as a therapeutic day school. Adam has had the opportunity to teach continuing education classes to colleagues and mentor college students pursuing careers in a variety of health professions.
Parent Role in Therapy: My goal is to provide parents with the tools to help each kiddo be as successful and independent as possible.Home programs and carryover are important as I only see the kids for a small portion of time, and just with all of us, skills need to practiced over and over for independence.
Credentials and Certifications
(HWT, Zones of Regulation)
- Master of Occupational Therapy (Midwestern University, Downer’s Grove)
- Masgutova Neuro-Sensory-Motor Reflex Integration (MNRI)
- Therapeutic Listening (Vital Links)
- Extensive study on sensory integration theory, self-regulation strategies, and sensory diet development
- Trained in handwriting (Handwriting Without Tears program)
- The Alert Program
- Bal-A-Vis-X (Balance, Auditory, and Vision Exercises)
- The Assessment of Motor and Process Skills (AMPS)
- Illinois Early Intervention Provider
- Started Teen Outing Program
- Taught Summer Intensive Programs (Handwriting, Bike Riding, Sensory Motor)
- Created a pet partners program and animal assisted therapy at school